Corresponds to Enneagram Style 1, Self-Preservation Subtype
(This is my enneagram type and subtype, warts and all.)
Nine Things about You
1. You are concerned about survival and security, which you channel into material success as a way to be a good person and do the right thing
2. You are the true perfectionist, of all enneagram styles and subtypes
3. You are also the most anxious and worried. As a child, you were put in the position of taking on too much responsibility for the family at an early age
4. You’re sure there is only “one right way” and since that is the case, one wrong decision can seem to threaten your entire survival
5. You worry about marrying the right person, finding the right job, acquiring enough money and provisions, living in the right neighborhood, finding the one true faith, and so on.
6. Once you finally decide you’ve made the right choice, it’s difficult for you to change your mind; you feel morally justified for your (idealized) beliefs and values, and for finding the “one right way.”
7. Because you believe your life depends on getting everything right, you do the things you think you “should” do, rather what you "want" to do (assuming you have enough self-awareness to know what you want)
8. You are anxious on the inside, but on the outside, you are self-controlled and self-confident
9. If you begin to sacrifice your true self too much, you will also begin to resent everything and everyone. When that happens--when you've been working too hard, for too long, and have lost your sense of humor--a warning bell should go off in your head. You are in trouble. For your own good, you need to scale back for a while.