Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

4 Keys to Hearing God's Voice by Mark Virkler

4 Keys to Hearing God's Voice by [Virkler, Mark]


There are so many books on the subject of hearing God, which is something that I imagine every Christian would like to be able to do, or to do better.

I know I sure would like to improve my hearing in that regard. I am endeavoring to do that through prayer, being in the Word, being more aware of God speaking to me through others, through things that happen in my life, and so on. Our antennas need to be up at all times!

In addition, I have read several books for tips. Mark and Patti Virkler have written numerous books on the subject, and are the founders of Communion with God Ministries, which trains people to have intimacy with the Holy Spirit.

In this book Vickler says, "Hearing God’s voice is as simple as quieting yourself down, fixing your eyes on Jesus, tuning to spontaneity, and writing." He takes 310 pages to say this--which is not a criticism. I'm glad he was so thorough! But in a nutshell, that is what he wrote about. 

With my first try, I had great hope for the results, especially since I am by nature a writer. I was hoping for something like automatic writing ...  

However, I ran into a couple of problems. The first fell under the task of quieting myself down. Living with a spouse, an adult daughter and her infant son, I am bombarded with a constant merry-go-round of talking faces, or in the baby's case, reaching hands (which are so sweet and precious).

And then there's the phone ringing (soliciters, mostly), the "ding!" that alerts me to text messages coming in.

But that's easily solvable: Do this when everyone else is asleep. Do this during those 3:00 am awakenings that are so ripe for communion with God. Those hours when you love nothing more than to fall on your knees and pray, and bask in the sunlit warmth of God's presence. To God be the glory.

My second problem was not as easily solved. Alone, quieted, I fixed my eyes on Jesus, turned to spontaneity, and waited, pen in one hand, journal in the other.

I waited to hear and write what God said to me--and came up against total (but very nice, peaceful) silence. Though there were no words to write, I felt a sense of God's deep, abiding presence.

I've read numerous books by authors who promote contemplative prayer, Thomas Keating being the chief proponent of it, so I was not overly discouraged by this lack of hearing God's voice.

Even in silence, God speaks to us.

Since that first effort at hearing God's voice through spiritual journaling, I have become more aware of the spontaneous thoughts that are from God. It generally happens after prayer. Although I seldom have pen and paper in hand, I make every effort to remember what I heard, although sometimes I forget, and I can only ask God to be merciful toward me, this baby Christian.

Some people, myself included, might be tempted to brush these thoughts away, thinking they were manufactured by my own brain. But I have detected a subtle difference. There is spontaneity to these thoughts, and they are not in my own voice. So yes, I believe I am hearing from God, and to God be the glory.

Having said all that, I am at this moment being reminded of one of my favorite contemporary Christian songs. Is this the Holy Spirit speaking to me? Certainly. It's God's job to make us aware of Him, so that we can give him the glory.

I will include the song here: Worthy of it All, sung by David Brymer.

Day and Night, Night and Day, Let Incense Arise ...



Have a blessed day with God. 


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on hearing from God. I try to make a quiet time each morning--I have less distractions than you except my mind that never shuts down--and sit with the Lord and listen as I write in my journal. I believe He gives us words and direction and that peace we crave when we meet with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read most of Vickler's book and find the process to be a valid one. My assumption when I journal that what comes to my mind is the Lord speaking to me, since we "have the mind of Christ." I don't do this as often as I should and used to do it more. I agree that God can speak to us at any time if we have our antenna up. Enjoy your book reviews

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...