Pages

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

In the Secret Place by Jerry Rankin




In the Secret Place : A Pilgrimage through the Psalms by Jerry Rankin
  • Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: B&H Books (October 1, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0805448810
  • ISBN-13: 978-0805448818

Publisher's description: 

For years, International Mission Board president Jerry Rankin has begun each day by reading and meditating on a Psalm. “The Psalms reveal the nature and character of God,” he explains. “The graphic, picturesque language evokes images that stir our emotions and strengthen our confidence. To know that God is our rock, our shield, our fortress and our strong tower all convey an understanding we need each day.” 
In the Secret Place gathers devotions and prayers written by Rankin for each of the one-hundred-fifty chapters in the book of Psalms. Personal yet universal, they reflect an openhearted journey of faith and deepening love for God to which the reader will aspire
My thoughts: 

Of all the books of the Bible, Psalms are probably my favorite, and this is one of my favorite books on Psalms. 

Dr. Rankin shares his insights on each psalm, sometimes by relating difficult personal experiences he suffered relative to his role as president of the International Mission Board. It not only gave me insight about the Psalms, but also some knowledge about Christian missions that I would not know otherwise. Each psalm is given a 2-3 page treatment, as well as a closing prayer. 

My e-book is chock-full of highlighted passages. Psalm 63 has special meaning for me, as I was desperately seeking God at the time I was reading Dr. Rankin's book. (I am still desperately seeking God, but in a different way, no longer lying prostrate on the floor for weeks and months on end.) 

So because of my fondness for Psalm 63, I will share a quote from him on that psalm: 
The only deterrent to becoming vulnerable to sin and spiritual failure is to have a heart that is desperate for God. 
Spiritual mediocrity is sometimes more devastating that occasional lapses into sin. To live day after day, year after year, going through the motions, engaged n the perfunctory practice of prayer and Bible reading and faithfully attending church without any manifestation of God's anointing is sad, indeed. God knows our heart. There can be no pretense when we come into His presence. He discerns whether or not that passion and thirst for Him is there, and He always responds. 
Yes, God responds! 
If you are looking to become more acquainted with the Psalms, this is a good place to start. 

What is your favorite book in the Bible? Do you enjoy reading Psalms?

3 comments:

  1. Another book about the Psalms is A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson. It covers Psalms 120-134, the Psalms of Ascent. I enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John--Oh, yes. Eugene Peterson! I'm halfway through with A Long Obedience ... and I own but have not started Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at its Best.

      I love his NT paraphrase, The Message.

      And do you know that Peterson is relatively local? Vancouver, B.C. I always enjoy learning about favorite authors living in our part of the world.

      Delete
    2. Hi John--Oh, yes. Eugene Peterson! I'm halfway through with A Long Obedience ... and I own but have not started Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at its Best.

      I love his NT paraphrase, The Message.

      And do you know that Peterson is relatively local? Vancouver, B.C. I always enjoy learning about favorite authors living in our part of the world.

      Delete

Your comments mean a lot to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...