Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Rhyme Time: This is the Palouse


Rhyme Time, aka Nursery Rhyme Time

Like most places, the Palouse has many towns, and many public libraries.

In my public library district, of which I am the Children's Librarian, I offer 150+ children's programs in the library each year. Total attendance for 2011 was 6800 persons.

Just so you know, no matter where you live, children's programming in public libraries is one of the best deals in town. It's fun, free, family entertainment. It also encourages literacy. I offer five programs in the library each week during the months of September-April.

In June and July, I provide 35 programs, some in the library, and some on Thursday evenings at the local city park. Our park programs are stage performances by professional entertainers, and so again, where else can you go for fun, free entertainment, and have the library foot the bill? Summer Reading costs our library about $6000 annually. The money for the Summer Reading program is raised by the Friends of the Library's twice-annual booksales.

I took this picture at the first of my two lapsit programs, which happen every Tuesday morning. Our meeting room is the Carol Ryrie Brink room of the old building, the Carnegie library, built in 1906, in Moscow, Idaho. Carol Ryrie Brink, who won the Newbery Medal for Caddie Woodlawn in 1936, was born and raised in Moscow.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite places--the library.
    When I was a junior in high school, I worked in
    our public library and Loved every minute of it.
    I left that spot during college to move in to child care.

    Have a great weekend!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...