2/24/2014

Writing and Life Update

I didn't do a writing update last week, so this week, I’m posting two weeks’ worth of writing/life updates ... and doing it via a (limited capacity) modem. We've been without our regular internet service now four four days ... while the owner of the internet provider is in McCall, Idaho ... probably skiing. It will be nice when he returns and fixes it, so we can have reliable, 24/7 internet again!

Hubby was out of town to Portland and then to Sacramento for a total of eight days over the past two weeks. During that time, I did what most wives do, I suspect—I kept no hours, and had no regular mealtimes! Routines? Wiped off the slate.

I stayed up waaaay past midnight. Got up at the crack of dawn. Was up for two or more hours each day before finally getting around to making my breakfast. Ate lunch and dinner when the spirit moved me. Ate simpler meals, although even when he’s home, I am by no means a gourmet cook. I bought a roasted chicken, which served me well for lunch and dinner for two full days. 

Projects: During his absence, I worked on, or completed, numerous writing-related tasks that’d been on a back burner for months. They’d been on a mental to-do list, and got checked off a mental to-do list. I didn’t complete everything—that would probably take a month or more—but I was happy to make some progress in that realm. 

As to writing, when I was reaching the halfway point of my first revision, I realized I didn’t have a super-solid handle on where my lead characters were emotionally. External plot-wise? No problem. I write simple plots. Internal plot-wise?—Well, I decided I needed to go back to the beginning and do a second revision. The second revision helped to further deepen the story, as well as give me the necessary grounding I needed.

Words were replaced, but there was no net gain or loss in word count. After the way I was ripping words out in some places and adding them in, in others, that came as a surprise to me. In most scenes, the revisions were fairly subtle, more like editing than true revision. The image below shows, on the left, the first revision of a particular scene, and on the right, the second (current) revision. (I love doing this in Scrivener, because I can do a true, side-by-side comparison. 


I've now begun to tackle the first revision of the second half of the first draft. (That was a mouthful!)

Other activities:

Babysitting: When both of my kids needed a babysitter on Saturday, I volunteered to take all five grandkids to a movie. Hubby thought I was nuts. I asked him if he wanted to help. He said no, and urged me to make some changes.

But heck, I'm a former children's librarian. I'm used to wielding 40-60-sometimes even 100 running and screaming kids at Summer Reading programs inside the library, and sometimes to great peril. (Anytime it involved glitter, glue, or paint, look out!--If it was paint, I always took it outdoors.)

I figured I could handle my own five grandkids from four to twelve years old, and I did just fine, thank-you very much. My oldest granddaughter was a great help, especially since the theater was packed out, kids running around everywhere, and not a single extra seat. We went to Jamms afterwards and spent a hefty $27.00 on frozen yogurt, but the kids were thrilled for the treat. (My daughter seldom lets her kids have sugar or gluten.)

Reading:  Still working on Wheat Belly from time-to-time. Most of the rest of my reading was in chipping away at those 299 blog posts I'd saved to Pocket, printed, and tucked into a thick three-ring binder. Still a lot to read there ...

How was your week, reading, writing, or otherwise?

5 comments:

  1. SO much that I can relate to ... especially with the lack of meal-time routine when my husband is out of town :) Not sure I could handle five grandchildren by myself - so kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough not having a decent internet connection. I hope that gets resolved soon!! Nice day with your grandchildren. Would definitely do the same if mine lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds like you are being quite
    productive.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about your 'non-schedule' when your hubby's out of town. I can relate. Too many times I simply forget to eat, I get so absorbed in projects! And five grandkids at a time? We're expecting our 5th the end of this summer, will have 5 under 6 1/2 years old then. Will I take them all by myself to a movie?? Maybe when they're in their teens???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, your grandchild age spread would make it tough to take them all to the movies without assistance. Congrats on the expected new arrival!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment. It means a lot to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...