1/21/2014

Use last year's writing Failures to Build this year's Successes


Recently, I ran across Keli Gwyn's blog, Romance Writers on the Journey, where she interviewed some 200 (give or take--I round numbers) aspiring romance writers between the years of 2008 and 2012. She ended the blog when she signed her own first book contract. Kudos to Keli for creating such a fine resource, and also for her recent good news--a second book contract, with Love Inspired Historical. I don't know Keli, but I felt a literal rush of happiness for her when I read this.

Romance Writers on the Journey is filled with author and wanna-be-author interviews, as well as a wealth of information about writing itself. But what I want to talk about are the numbers. Of the 200 people she interviewed, most were "on the contest circuit," meaning that their writing had reached a level of competence that the writers felt they wouldn't be embarrassing themselves and wasting their time/money by competing in RWA contests. Many had been finalists in, or won, various RWA contests.

I have read every single interview, and of those 200 people, only about 20 have gone on to become traditionally published. That's only 10%. Of the remaining 180, I discovered that only 10% are even still blogging. Now, I don't know if they've given up on their dream, but they have given up on blogging.

The point I want to make is this one by Winston Churchill:
 Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Given that, I decided to think about my writing successes and failures last year with regard to the facet of entering RWA contests. There are so many facets to the writing life, if I noted my successes and failures in all of them, this post would end up being very long. If you're interested in reading specifically what I learned, and can't read the small print, click on the image and it will become a readable size.


    So, have you taken a look at your writing failures last year, and figured out a way to leverage them to build your eventual success?




1 comment:

  1. Interesting about the contests, at a time I was also thinking I might try. Failures? Blooming slow as a writer, for one. I'm pushing myself to pick up the pace. It's a painful process. I have a bad habit of looking back at previous day edits and then starting over. Wrong strategy. The goal should be to finish the chapter at least. But I haven't given up. Like Churchhill, I still have the enthusiasm to keep on writing. Someone wrote at another blog, that good preparation and a little luck is all we need......or as someone else once said, 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration!! Something else I may try is to submit smaller pieces, so I get in the habit of submitting on a regular basis, as opposed to waiting for novel. Short story competitions, for example. Anyway, lots to think about and keep us busy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. It means a lot to me.