11/01/2012

Market Research for Love Inspired Historicals


I spent a lot of time this week on Market Research for Love Inspired Historicals. If you're interested in writing for LIH, read on. I'll share what I found. 

My goal was to get a feel for where my interests and their needs intersect. I looked at every book published in the line by examining the title, the back cover copy, the time period and geographical setting, as well as character types and character issues. 

As a relatively new, and newly expanded line, only 166 books have been published. Compare that to Harlequin Historicals, where almost 800 books have been published over the years.

LIH claims to be open to any time period, any place, up to 1950 however, not surprisingly, the Regency and the West, post-Civil war until 1880, are the most strongly represented. The same holds true for Harlequin Historicals, although the series has a markedly different flavor. 

I was excited to see a good number of books set between 1890-1945, including a number of Depression Era books (Linda Ford), and a couple of books set during World War II (Renee Ryan). Hopefully, there’s a growing interest in the events that happened during these years. I certainly find them interesting. Americana, World War I, Newport Heiresses ...  

There is very little interest in this line in areas other than America and England, and in times prior to the French Revolution. 

The French Revolution is represented by one only book, which disappoints me, because it's a place and time that I have researched extensively and indeed, have a 650+page manuscript sitting in a drawer, ripe for re-envisioning and re-slanting. 

Naomi Rawlings, who wrote Sanctuary for a Lady, wrote the only French Revolution book for the line. It was her debut novel. She has since been contracted by Love Inspired Historicals to write another book—but not a sequel to her first book. Regrettably, I suspect it wasn’t as popular with readers as many people had hoped, and so the plug got pulled for a sequel. [If Naomi reads this, she can set me straight if I'm wrong.] I certainly thought it was a wonderful book.
  
Because the line is inspirational, without sensuality, the female characters tend to be school marms, librarians, governesses, nurses, doctors, ranchers, abolitionists, and suffragists. It’s true that these were largely the only options open to women in earlier times, however (by contrast) Harlequin Historicals focuses on women who are, across the board, more free spirited and less constrained by deeply held religious values. Thus you get far more sensuality, far more emphasis on the art of seduction. 

Not surprisingly, Love Inspired is more popular with conservative, religious types, although it is not a religious press such as Barbour, Bethany House, Thomas Nelson, Waterbrook, Tyndale, and Abingdon. The faith thread is present in all Love Inspired Historicals, but it is, by contrast, a light one.

The male characters in Love Inspired Historicals are preachers, doctors, cowboys, teachers, sheriffs, farmers, and military men returned broken from war. Otherwise known as Beta males. No rakes, no warriors or ruthless men who are out for conquest, and very few characters of either sex who are motivated by revenge. 

In most cases, either the heroine or the hero is a widow or widower and already a parent. Or they are charged with taking care of orphans, nieces or nephews. A small town or community feel is important. 

Anyhew, that is what my Market Research revealed to me. LIH feels like a playground that I would have much fun playing in. 

I just need to work out a series strategy that illuminates a time and place I find interesting, which isn’t already over-represented, and which would also be popular in readers’ imaginations. 

If you're interested in writing for LIH, what have you found in your Market Research? Anything else? Sharing is encouraged and very welcome. Thank you. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Cathy for taking the time to research this line of fiction. I hope the market for LIH continues to grow. We ALL need to be inspired! And, as for the "steamy" or sensual romances, which these romances are not, I've always been a believer in letting the reader's imagination write the more intimate scenes between a man and a woman. A well written romance can still leave readers swooning, if you know what I mean. What historicals also add is an inside view of history as it may have taken place--a live motion picture into the past. But that gets into research, and that's another subject!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I know you like to write suspense. Love Inspired has a Suspense line that is not historical, that you might consider writing for.

      Delete
  2. Great breakdown on what looks like a promising publisher, should be a great help for those who write adult inspirational historicals. I love historical settings, too, but my target age is MG. Not as big a market, but I keep trying :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenda,
      MG isn't a big market, but it is a reliable one. All public and school libraries, and there are thousands of them, of course, are apt to buy any MG novel that comes out.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment. It means a lot to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...