1/23/2012

So Much to be Thankful For


The weather warmed considerably on Friday evening, resulting in massive melting through the night. On Saturday, I was busy getting ready for our trip when hubbie said to me, "I think you'd better come down to the basement."

An inch of water crossed the entire floor in my scrapbooking room. It had also spread, and was continuing to spread, into other parts of the basement.

We had re-roofed the house last summer, but there wasn't time to do the finishing touches. I.e. putting up rain gutters. All the snow had melted off the roof. An enormous pile lay along the north side of the house. It was all melting. Seeping into the basement through a flooded window well.

I hadn't even gotten dressed yet that morning, and so as my hubbie said, "You looked like a crazy woman outside in your fuzzy pink bathrobe, madly scooping water out of the window well with a bucket."

He got the new bucket tractor and dug a ditch along the north side of the house so that the water would collect there and seep into the ground, instead of making a beeline for the basement.

In all, I spent five hours in the basement. At first, I was bucketing and sopping up water. When that was done, I steam cleaned the entire 1200 sq feet of vinyl flooring.

Finished, I could hardly walk back up the stairs, I was so tired.

It wasn't the first time our basement's flooded. It was the fourth, but the first time when vinyl flooring had replaced carpeting.

The good news is that it happened before we left on our trip. Had we been gone, I cannot imagine the damage that would've been done. As a minimum, water would've soaked into the sheet rock and ruined it.

Nothing in my scrapbooking room was damaged, as virtually everything was in plastic storage units.

At the end of the day, we went to our grandson's second birthday party. This is the little guy who was born seven weeks premature, one week prior to our going to Hawaii last time. We'd worried about him and his mother. We'd taken care of the other two children while Mommy and baby were in the hospital. We also worried we might need to cancel our vacation. Everything turned out fine.

I snapped the picture just as we were leaving to go to Grandbaby's birthday party.

Now, today, we are on our way to Seattle and, once again, to board a plane for Hawaii.

6 comments:

  1. Bummer with the snow and now the flood!! Hope the vacation is a joy in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that it all worked well for you. I hope you enjoy your vacation!

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I'm glad you were home when the water came in. And even happier to hear you are on your way to Hawaii. Enjoy the sun and a break from the deluge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear your basement was flooded. But you've got the right attitude: It is, indeed, a good thing it happened while you were at home and not on vacation! And I'm glad you're so organized as to have all your scrapbooking stuff in plastic bins!

    Enjoy Hawaii and the SUN. Soak up some rays for me, okay? Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a mess! But glad you discovered it before you left town. Isn't it something how things seem to get crazy just before a big trip? But now hopefully you can relax, and enjoy the sunny Hawaiian beaches. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm so glad you got all the water wicked and a trench dug. How exhausted you really really had to be. Enjoy your trip, our youngest son and his wife were in Hawaii in Dec and loved it.
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. It means a lot to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...