7/26/2011

Blog Award, and Note about Why I Haven't been Posting Much Lately

First, lovely Shellie at Chapter Writer gave me an award. Thanks, Shellie!

Shellie also has some great news of her own. Her MG book, The Last Station Master, which is a blend of past and present, and for all children but especially children of color, will be published in 2012, in honor of Martin Luther King's birthday. Way to go, Shellie!

As to the award, I must recognize five bloggers, so here goes--five awesome blogs:

Scheherazade's Journal
Pam at So I'm Fifty
Dominic at Writes of Passage
Margo at Writing at High Altitude
Carole Anne Carr

The second part of the award is to say something about myself. I'll tell you why I haven't felt much like blogging, the past couple of weeks. My mother, who's had Alzheimer's for about 15 years, is in her absolute, final days. She's getting Comfort Care only at this time. I feel like I haven't truly had a mother for many years, but even so, it's not easy.

To honor Mom at her memorial, I'm making a scrapbook of her life. Let me say, it's an incredibly bittersweet thing to do. She was the planet, the incredibly beautiful, vivacious woman that our entire family orbited around until we had no choice but to put her in an adult family care facility in 2005. Her loss to us has been profound.

12 comments:

  1. Having a family member with Alzheimer's is so devastating. You have my thoughts and prayers for the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, Catherine. I lost my mom too young and too fast to a swift growing cancer. I can't imagine the strength it must take to watch someone you love slip away slowly and being unable to do anything about it. I will hold you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your mum. May the Lord bless and keep you in the weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings and prayers for you and your family.
    Take Care of yourself.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your mother. :( My grandmother had Alzheimer's and I lived with her for a while. It eventually got so bad that she had to be put in a care faciity until she died. I know it's hard. What a beautiful thing you're doing by remembering her with making a scrapbook. I pray for peace for you and your family through this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope very sad to hear about your loss, I wonder if the only comfort is that it has been a gradual loss over many years. No sudden shock. Really don't know what must be worse for you and her. Hugs, and many many thanks for the lovely award.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for you loss, Catherine. Sending good thoughts your way. Thanks so much for the nice award!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to you and your family. Keeping you in my thoughts.

    The scrapbook will be cherished, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Catherine for taking the time to recognize me and my fellow bloggers.

    These end-of-life dramas, especially when they involve parents, can be traumatic and heart-wrenching. You want to be able to protect those that protected you when you were growing up. It's so hard to see everything that was them being stripped away. Your scrapbook will be a healing experience.

    Linda Katmarian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Catherine

    Thanks for my award - I do appreciate it :)

    I am sorry to hear about your mum. These last few days will be very painful, even though the mum you really know slipped away a long time ago. I pray for peace for you and your family.

    Dom x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the award! I'm so sorry about your mom. I think its wonderful you are doing a scrapbook about her life, I can only imagine how bittersweet that must be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart is with you at this time. Both of my parents were in hospice care and it is so very hard. I held their hands as they left this earth and I still grieve for them. Alzheimers is really the long goodbye.

    Prayers of solace and love go out for you and yours...
    Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. It means a lot to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...