10/06/2009

Kaleidoscope Eyes by Jen Bryant: Book Review

Kaleidoscope Eyes
By Jen Bryant
Knopf
May 2009
Middle Grade (5th-8th)
Novel Written in Verse

I wanted to love this book more than I did, and so I’ll tell you what I think young readers will love about it, and then what Ms. Persnickety (me) didn’t like so much.

It’s the summer of 1968. The Vietnam war is raging, and Lyza’s mother has deserted the family. Both of these things hover in the background of the story, which is the way tough issues tend to be handled in MG. The foreground is on a pirate treasure hunt, which begins after Lyza’s beloved grandfather dies and leaves her a treasure map. He’d been a grand adventurer, and she’s the only family member who loves adventure as he had. Armed with the map, and accompanied by her friends, Malcolm and Carolann, Lyza sets off to find the lost treasure of pirate Captain Kidd, hidden in their own state of New Jersey. Who doesn’t like a mystery? And what kid’s eyes don’t light up at the thought of finding buried treasure? Young readers will love those elements. Probably even the implausible conclusion. Given the audience this book was intended for, this book does just fine.

Here’s what disappointed Ms. Persnickety: I thirst for books set in the late 60’s. I came of age then, and well remember the times. I spent a year writing a manuscript (unpublished) set in 1968-69. So when I cracked open Kaleidoscope Eyes, I expected to be taken on a grand journey back in time … to breathe the air I breathed … to see the sights, hear the sounds … but I didn’t. Ms. Bryant got most of her history right: the death of Martin Luther King; that young men were being sent to Vietnam, or sneaking off to Canada to evade the draft. But the details just didn’t resonate deeply with me, and I’m not sure why. Maybe the free verse poetry couldn’t come close to evoking the sights, the sounds, or the smells of the times. It couldn’t come close to catching the pulsating energy of the times, or the all-consuming anger. For that, perhaps chunky paragraphs would’ve worked better than short lines of verse, which give the illusion of slightness, airiness.

Then there is at least one factual error. Lyza talks about her sister being a Hippie—in 1966. Hippies didn’t come on the scene any sooner than the fall of 1968, early 1969. Our society underwent a paradigm shift at that time. One day, we were the plastic, space-aged people of the early 60’s, jello eaters, Kool-aid drinkers, a people destined for the moon. The next day, we were about protesting on college campuses, dropping acid, and rioting in the streets.

Even apart from the 60’s backdrop and the Vietnam War, I had issues with Kaleidoscope Eyes. When I read in the first few pages that Lyza’s mother had deserted the family, I expected the story to be about Lyza coming to terms with that, like so many other MG books where a parent leaves or dies. In the end, she realizes that finding the treasure won’t bring her mother back, nor the young men who’ve died in the war, but more of her personal ponderings about those issues throughout the book would’ve made it feel less like reading a Nancy Drew mystery, and more like the story it could’ve been, to me.

But as I said at the beginning, for the intended audience, this book works just fine.

7 comments:

  1. Cathy, you are so thorough in your reviews--I really appreciate that! I also love how you've got REASONS for your like/dislike of the books you read. Thanks for setting a high bar for book reviews. This sounds like an interesting novel. I love Sharon Creech's LOVE THAT DOG and HATE THAT CAT, and for the simple stories that were told in those books, I think the verse she used worked well. KALEIDOSCOPE EYES sounds like it's a bit meatier than Creech's poetry-novels. This style of book is rare--I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, please read it and tell me what you think. Did the verse format work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wrong about the "factual error" that hippies started in the fall of 1968. You are way off. 1966 WAS the year hippies or the term "hippies" was used. The San Francisco Bay Area was already well underway and the "underground" and acid tests were all going strong. Don't forget the Monterey Pop Festival in June 1967.That was LONG before fall 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, My research said that the nation as a whole didn't use the term hippie until later in the decade. It's true that it all happened sooner in San Francisco, which is probably where it all started. Clothing styles (nation wide) didn't change until later as well. But thank you for pointing these things out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading this book right now and I can see that the have the format in poem like version and some times it changes. And you can see that the chapters are small.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. It means a lot to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...